26th Berlin EVA – Conference
BASED ON TRUST
November 07 - 08, 2019
Cylinder Seal, Ident Nr. TH B 0557 © Vorderasiatisches Museum der Staatlichen Museen zu Berlin – Preußischer Kulturbesitz. Photo: Olaf M. Teßmer
“BASED ON TRUST! Culture in Virtual Environment”
“BASED ON TRUST! Culture in Virtual Environment” is the focus of this year’s conference. It alludes to the oscillating field of tension that has been opened up between data identity and the real presence of cultural heritage. Digital transformation has made available the collection objects in cyberspace. Concerts and performances are transmitted as datastreams, and education and learning is continuously improved by the use of the VR. Digital telepresence technologies, thus, expand the visibility of cultural heritage and generate new contexts, narratives and perspectives.
But how can we represent credibility and uniqueness of the material evidence of the objects in digital data streams? What technical requirements are associated with the creation of plausible and citable scenarios and atmospheres in VR? The claim «Based on Trust» refers to all areas of the «virtualization of the museum» in 2D, 3D, sound and video formats as well as in e-installations, explorative VR applications and AI. Authenticity and credibility are not self-evident at all in digital media. They require complex attribution processes and data curatorial expertise. The Berlin EVA Conference deals with these topics at the interface between memory institutions, public administrations, technology providers and information scientists.
Focus areas and topics
- Imaging: digital image acquisition methods in 2D and 3D
- Visualization: from dataset to user interface
- Modelling: 3D models and replicas between point clouds and dust clouds
- Narratives: stories between curator and AI
- Performing Arts: e-installations, dynamic video and digital concert halls
- Event Formats: Collections between selfies and instawalks
- Strategies: Digital Asset Management, documentation and metadata standards
- Credibility: Smart Contracts, Blockchain, Certificates
- Licensing: between Open Access and commercial industries
- Cultural heritage institutions, smart cities and the Internet of Things (IoT)
- Cybercrime and data theft – Pishing, bots, fakes and the digital cultural heritage
- Initiatives, collaborative projects and cooperations for culture: Europeana, DDB, specialist and collaborative portals
The 26th EVA conference in Berlin invites you to present current positions and/or practical examples e.g. demonstrations. Innovative contributions to the conference and proposals for application-oriented workshops are expected. Novel procedures, technologies, projects and products can be exhibited in parallel.
As part of the network of EVA conferences International located in Florence, Jerusalem, Kopenhagen, London, Paris and St. Petersburg the 25th EVA event in Berlin is a platform for transnational exchange and European co-operation.
- Museums, libraries, archives and performing arts institutions
- Ministries of culture and education, museums and heritage organisations, other cultural institutions
- Research institutions for image processing, computer graphics, information and media sciences
- Suppliers of multimedia and image processing systems, hardware and software, online information services, databases
The conference EVA Berlin 2019 is to be held by the National Museums in Berlin – Prussian Cultural Heritage with the dedicated support of the German Center for Aerospace e.V. – Institute of Optical Sensor Systems. It owes its programmatic impulses to the close cooperation with Eva-Conferences International